I am sorry to disturb you, but I have tried to enter the field data as
indicated below but have failed miserably. Is there anywhere where I could
download a ready made spreadsheet?

Thanks

Fran Machado

Below are the spreadsheet instructions for the CVD risk equation used in
the most recent NZ blood pressure and lipid management guidelines.  These
are the instructions for completing an Excel spreadsheet.

Regards

Rod Jackson (faxed from computer)

Instructions for setting up a spread sheet to calculate CVD risk using a
Framingham equation.

Equation from: Anderson et al. CVD risk profiles. Am Heart J
1991;121:293-8.
CVD includes the following fatal and nonfatal events: MI, angina, coronary
insufficiency, sudden and non sudden coronary  death, stroke, TIA, PVD
(claudication), LVF (symptomatic).

I have used the fields A through Z and AA through AE to include the
necessary instructions.  Once completed you can feed in any patient's risk
factors (for the age group 35-75 years) and determine their probability of
a CVD event over any period from 2-10 years.

Fields:

Risk factors:
A gender (female =1, male=0)
B age (years)
C SBP (mmHg)
D cigarettes (yes or stopped in last year=1, no=0)
E Total cholesterol (mmol/L)
F HDL cholesterol (mmol/L)
G diabetes (yes=1, no=0)
H ECG LVH (yes=1, no=0)  note this is not the same as echo LVH which
is a lesser risk factor (echo is a more sensitive but less specific test
for LVH
Coefficients and equations:
I ß0= 18.8144
J ß1=  -1.2146*(A)
K ß2=  -1.8443*LN(B)
L ß3=  blank
M ß4=  0.3668*LN(B)*(A)
N ß5=  blank
O ß6=  -1.4032*LN(C)
P ß7=  - 0.3899*(D)
Q ß8=  -0.539*LN((E)/(F))
R ß9=  -0.3036*(G)
S ß10=  -0.1697*(G)*(A)
T ß11=  -0.3362*(H)
U ß12=  blank
V q1= 0.6536
W q2=  -0.2402
X m= SUM((I):(T))
Y g= EXP((V)+((W)*(X)))
Z time (years)  (I have set this at 5 years)
AA U= (LN(Z)-(X))/(Y)
AB probability of CVD = 1-EXP(-EXP(AA))
AC relative risk reduction (I have set at 0.33)
AD absolute risk reduction = (AB)*(AC)
AE NNT (numbers needed to treat for x years to prevent an event) = 1/(AD)

notes:
o LN is natural log
o EXP = exponential
o some of the coefficients are blank because other versions of the
same basic equation can be used for other endpoints and use additional
coefficients.  I have set the spreadsheet up for these other endpoints but
have just included the total CVD one here
o to check if the equation is written correctly use the following
example:  woman, aged 60 years, SBP 160 mmHg, smoker, TC = 6mmol/L, HDL=
1.3mmol/L, diabetes,  LVH, 5 year probability of CVD =38% (equation reads
0.38014) , absolute risk reduction = 12.5% (equation reads 0.125446), NNT=
8 (equation reads 7.97153)

Dr Francisco Machado,
Abersychan Surgery, Old Road, Abersychan, Torfaen, NP4 7BQ
website http://www.abersychan.demon.co.uk/home.htm