Dear all
I'm in the process of doing some power calculations for a trial
(comparing GP led nursing home admission with emergency hospital
admission for the elderly).  The main outcome measures I'd like to
consider are the Barthel index (a measure of independence) and  the
Euroquol-5QD quality of life measures (incorporating 5 indices).
Does anybody have any suggestions for levels of differences in these
outcomes for the two arms of the trial that are clinically
significant/important/worth being able to find and justifications for
these levels?  Does anybody have any references for data regarding
variability (as in SD) of Euroquol-5QD scores in the elderly.  I have
some empirical evidence for the Barthel index from a study which found
an SD of about 3.
I won't have a useful baseline as the patients will all be admitted
acutely.
I have investigated the links of QOL measures on A Booth's lists but
couldn't find anything detailed enough
I'd be very grateful for pointers
Cheers
Owen Dempsey