Apologies for long quote below. One of the problems with NNT is in
defining the time period and costs. For example cardiovascular risks and
risk reductions are usually calculated for periods of one or five years.
If you calculate your NNTs from that point it is obvious that NNTs for
young hypertensives to prevent a stroke or MI in five years are going to
be large - so one could deduce that there is little benefit in treating
a 40 year old man with BP 165/100, say, in terms of risk reduction over
five years (the tables are not to hand so I'm not going to give an exact
figure but it must be close to or over 100). And conversely there is a
low NNT for treating an 80 year old (but the benefit of this is
contradicted by the 80 year old's low life expectation compared to a 40
year old).

What I'd really like to know is what is the NNT to prevent CVD in my 40
year old given a time scale of 15 or 20 years? That's when my
hypertensive 40 year old will be 50-55 and at much higher risk of CVD.
Is it worth starting treatment at the age of 40 compared to 45 or 50 in
order to reduce the risk of adverse events when he is 55 or 60?

Toby

--
Toby Lipman 7, Collingwood Terrace, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne. Tel
0191-2811060 (home), 0191-2437000 (surgery)