Greetings, less-than-full-strength salty dogs.  Having had my conscience
pricked by Marin to register with the list, I hope I don't cock up this
first posting.  Looking at the web page for this list, there have
already been some very useful exchanges. I'm employed as the
conservation advisor in the Head Office of the Scottish Environment
Protection Agency but with sideline interests in estuarine nekton
ecology, particularly in relation to the use of salt marshes, and
estuarine protection/conservation policy, etc.

As someone parochially involved in the Forth, I was interested in
Marin's posting about Loligo in the Foth Estuary and checked some
poorly-remembered memories with my father who was a countryside ranger
on the East Lothian coastline for 20+ years.  He has many records of
loligids up to "2 feet" long (I guess that is not in SI units) stranding
every year in late winter/ early spring, i.e. at the time of year when
Marin's was discovered much further upstream in the same inlet.  From
the twitching and trembling of musculature, it would appear that some of
the East Lothian strandings were still alive or only recently dead.
Unfortunately, no more detailed taxonomic ID was undertaken but a phone
call to the (then) mollusc people at the (then) Royal Scottish Museum
(was it Sheila Smith ?) assured him they were probably "flying squid",
an ID that hasn't proven easy to track down subsequently in any
taxonomic source material !

Strandings in the outer Firth continue into early summer but with
increasing rarity.  My father reports that the loligids were brick-red
on the upper surface and occasionally stranded in some numbers, a
maximum of six large loligids turning up on one tide in Gosford Bay.  He
speculated that strong easterly winds might be responsible for this but
we never went back and checked stranding records against the weather
records.

Don't you just love anecdotal science ?!?  Sorry for the local nature of
this - maybe a bit irrelevant to most of you but it gave me a good
excuse to say hello.  Looking forward to reading and writing...

Scot mathieson