Laurence Bathurst wrote:

> Hello Ria and list
>

> During the time when I was working for people with developmental
> (intellectual) disabilities providing recreation services, it was apparent
> to me that the discourse on disability community and culture
> remained somewhat removed from the individuals with disabilities.
> Part of the ethos and thus an expectation within the role of recreation
> support workers was to 'promote positive images of people with a
> disability'.  It was 'we' that were facilitating engagement with the wider
> community and community resources and facilities; where access to
> social, sporting, entertainment, tourism, outdoor recreation, fitness,
> arts, and community recreation opportunities (of the general
> community) was problematic and thus requiring such facilitation or
> support.
>
> Very important roles were that of community educator/ harbingers
> and guardians of disability discrimination legislation/ and access
> consultants.  So it was often only 'us' (and indeed other people
> providing support services to people with developmental disabilities)
> who enacted this advocacy role and also parents and other relatives.

I find it curious that parents/carers only get a mention as an after
thought. I would have thought that they would have the major role in
advocacy, and trying to show their sons and daughters in the best
possible light, wheras the professional workers who come and go only
tend to have an involvement during the hours they get paid for.

 rgds John