CALL FOR PAPERS :  PANEL ON INDIGENOUS PEOPLES

Please see the details below.  If anyone is interested in the panel
discusion concerning Indigenous People, please send me a 200 word abstract
at this e-mail address by the 21 May 1999.  Also feel free to contact me
with any questions.  I will co-ordinate this panel.

The ISA RC05 on Race and Ethnic Relations is holding its interim conference
in Israel on 7-8 July 1999. The first day of the conference will take place
in Tel-Aviv University and the second in Al-Quds University. This would
enable both Israeli and Palestinian scholars to take part in the conference.

The main theme of the conference would be on general issues of racism and
ethnicity but that are particularly pertinent to the Israeli/Palestinian
situation. During the meeting of the RC Executive in Montreal it was agreed
that the conference would be composed of six panels:

Issues of Racism and Ethnicity in Israel and Palestine; Military Divided
Societies; Indigenous People; Multiculturalism in Settler Societies;
Diasporas and Homelands; Gender; Ethnicity and Nationalism.

Anybody who is interested in giving a paper at the conference should email
or fax a title and a 200 word abstract by the 31 of May to Prof. Nira
Yuval-Davis at the University of Greenwich, London [[log in to unmask];
fax:+44-181-331-8905].

In case there are more acceptable papers than places on the panels, there
will also be opportunity for poster displays and circulation of papers. As
much as possible we would like to keep the conference running in one plenary
mode.

The dates of the conference were fixed a few days earlier than the big ISS
conference organized by Prof.  Eliezer Ben-Raphael at the University of
Tel-Aviv, Ramat-Aviv, Israel. Anybody who is interested in taking part in
that conference should get in touch with him. Unlike a few other ISA RCs we
decided to organize our conference separately, not only in order to be
autonomous, but also to enable those who cannot afford the fee of the large
conference to take part. We are still investigating how much it would cost
to transfer the delegates for the day from Tel-Aviv to Abu-Dis, a suburb of
East Jerusalem, where Al-Kutz university is and to produce an abstracts
booklet. We can only promise to organize the conference on a minimum budget
and will also give you details on relatively cheap accommodation in
Tel-Aviv. We are also hoping to organize 'alternative tours' during the 2
days between the end of our conference and the ISS conference.

In the [unlikely?] case that due to the political situation it is not possible
to hold the conference in Israel/Palestine we will make a contingency plan
to hold it at the University of Greenwich, London, UK.

Prof. Nira Yuval-Davis
Gender & Ethnic Studies
School of Social Scinces
University of Greenwich, Southwood Site