This is the response I got from the Ordance Survey concerning contour
lines:

Dear Mr Khadem -

Thank you for your enquiry. Ordnance Survey has measured mean (average)
sea
level around Britain over extended periods three times over the past 150
years - first from a point in Liverpool between 1842 and 1859, then at
Newlyn in Cornwall between 1915 and 1921 and most recently in Newlyn
again
between 1951 and 1956.

You will see from the approximate periods between these dates that
before
too long we are likely to be embarking on a further round of measuring.
One
aspect of this will be a highly detailed aerial survey of high and low
watermarks around the entire coast, a project which is being
substantially
funded by the Government as part of a new seven-year agreement on
services
required in the national interest..

We have not made wholesale amendments to our contour lines this century.
 Obviously there have been many local changes, particularly as land has
been
reshaped by Man as opposed to nature.  But generally speaking any
changes in
mean sea level (as opposed to land erosion or sea incursions) have not
warranted changing contours (which are at 5 metre or 10 metre intervals
depending on the map scale) but they have necessitated us changing the
height values of many of our official Bench Marks around the country,
which
are much more precise in their height information. Having said that, the
sea
level change is only one consideration in when any recalculation is
being
considered - inland land movements are also an important factor.

The new coastal surveys which will be taken  over the next few years as
part
of the national agreement will indicate whether further consideration
needs
to be given to changing any of our height information on a more general
basis.

I hope this helps.

Philip Round
Senior Press Officer