> The reasons for Nubain in our area were:
> 1. Opiates cannot be given by paramedics as against the law (MCA have =
> allowed Cumbria and Warwickshire to use it)

This is not the first time I have been told this. I would be most grateful
if someone could point me to the relevant portion of the MCA as I am
unable to find where it is illegal. Remember, administration does NOT have
to be by a doctor or nurse, or carers could not give opiates at home.
Provided there is a valid prescription (along the lines for any other bulk
ambulance service prescription) I can find no evidence it is illegal.

> 4. Nubain is safe for crews to carry in urban area as has no street =
> value as minimal euphoria
Nubain is a drug of abuse of choice amongst the bodybuilding fraternity.

> 5. Most UK ambulance services already use Nubain without problems

See my previous posting.

> The disadvantages are:
> 1. Risk of delay on scene whilst administering it (encouraged to give
> in =
> ambulance on the move)
> 2. partial antagonist action means further analgesia in form of opiates
> =
> needs a variable dose, but not considered a major problem as in A&E =
> usually titrate the IV dose anyway. But there has been recent
> discussion =
> onthis list on this topic.
>
> In other words, we thought Nubain was better than nothing except =
> Entonox.

Pretty poor reason for using it, especially in the light of my previous
comments. Inner city GPs use diamorphine, inner city pharmacies stock it.
You might as well worry about leaving ambulances on the street in case
they are stolen for joyriding (and yes, this has happened!).

Best wishes,

Rowley Cottingham

"Something that travels from where I'm not, to where I don't want to be,
at a time I don't want to travel". Definition of public transport.