As a GP & BASICS doc I'd like to make the following points about
TCAs/SSRIs.
1. There is considerable variation in patient response to both classes of
antidepressants. Some folks feel better with TCAs than SSRIs & vice-versa.
2. A lot of patients I try on SSRIs feel b awful with worse insomnia &
anxiety.
3. TCAs are very useful as non-addictive hypnotics, for chronic pain
control & also for IBS. They are a very useful type of drug.
4. Many Health Authorities effectively black-listed SSRIs, until recently
,on cost grounds!
5. If I had to make a choice  between keeping TCA s or SSRIs, I would keep
TCAs as they are far more useful than SSRIs.
6. The problem, as everyone is pointing out, is their toxicity in overdose.
I really don't have an answer. Yes we can issue weekly or fortnightly
scripts, but this becomes v expensive for those who pay a script charge.
Also, there is nothing to stop people hoarding tabs until they have enough
to do the job properly! Unfortunately, anxiety & depression remains one of
the commonest problems GPs face and we have to respond as best we can.
Perhaps TCAs could be dispensed in weekly amounts by the pharmacy, at no
extra charge to the patient.
7. Finally, the root cause of many folks 'depression' is socio-economic.
Medicine is somehow expected to produce a magic cure!!
 Best wishes

Dr John Apps
'I've spent a lot of money on booze, birds & fast cars. The rest, I've
squandered !'  George Best