Anna Calvera, a DHS member in Barcelona, has asked me to circulate news of a
forthcoming conference in that selfsame city.  Here are the details:

Conference title:	DESIGN HISTORY SEEN FROM ABROAD
Dates:		26, 27, 28 April 1999
Venue:		Convento de St. Agustin Viejo
		c/ Comerc
		Ciutat Vella
		Barcelona

		Opening lectures a University of Barcelona

Blurb:  Over the years the history of design has been written largely from
the perspective of the English-speaking countries.  British and North
American critics were the first to research this area and have been involved
since the very beginning.  Developments on the Continent or in peripheral
areas such as Latin America are not understood as a continuous flow of
events; only the key moments are known.  However, there are as many design
histories as there are countries engaged in modern industrial development.
For this we reason, the general title we have chosen is DESIGN HISTORY SEEN
FROM ABROAD.  We hope very much that the conference willl be a stage for the
presentationi of many different perspectives.  For this reasons the opening
lecture is dedicated to the debate on the industrial arts which took place
in this small corner of Europe-- Catalonia --in the earliest days of th
eindustrial development.

Organisation:	Departament de Disseny i Imatge
		Universitat de Barcelona

Tel.		34.93.448.33.23
Fax.		34.93.334.51.12
e.mail		[log in to unmask]

If you wish to attend the conference or submit a paper, please send personal
details and an abstract of 200 words by 1 April 1999 to

Dra Anna Calvera
Departament de Disseny i Imatge
Universitat de Barcelona
1a Reunion Cientifica de Historia del Diseno
Pau Gargallo 4
08028 Barcelona

fax.  34.93.334.51.12
e.mail  [log in to unmask]

Inscription fee:  12,000pta
Languages:      All international languages are admitted but there will no
translation facilties.

Closing paper by Jonathon Woodham (hi!).

Additional notes from Guy

This conference coincides with the Primavera del Disseny 1999 which is a
bi-annual design jamboree in Barcelona. It features loads of exhibitions and
events including a week of lectures by 'happening' designers the week before
this conference.  So it's quite a good time to be in the city.  You can find
out more by visiting the website at www.BCNdesign.org.

That's more or less all I know about the event, so please address further
queries to Anna Calvera.

cheers

guy julier