The observer system by Noldus might do the job. Tracksys in the UK
market it along with a system to dump analogue video (coded to MPEG)
onto CD that makes it more manageable.
try: [log in to unmask];  www.noldus.com

> Date:          Tue, 02 Feb 1999 12:39:54 -0400
> Subject:       video analysis software?
> From:          Jan van Aalst <[log in to unmask]>
> To:            qualitative software <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend software that would allow us to annotate digitized
> video clips?  I'm aware of WebConstellations and C-video, and
> text-analysis softwrae that can also incorporate video or at least
> stills, like Atlas/ti.  We have two needs for the kind of software we
> are looking for:
>
> •Students doing their own ethnographies in which they make video clips
> and tell a story of their learning with them.  We want the accounts they
> create to be in electronic form, and codable according to the type of
> learning advance they are reporting, and non-textual aspects o
> communication, such as gesture, interactions with mediational
> materials,"thinking types" in which students label the purpose/role of
> the clip in their overall communication, etc.   The idea is to develop a
> database of such accounts with extensive search capabilities.
>
> •We have similar needs for our own research, likely with more extensive
> coding needs than students would use.
>
> As I hinted, I think we can do this with analysis tools where text is
> central, but are wondering what's available that has video as the
> central object.
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide.
>
> Jan van Aalst, Ph.D.
> OISE/University of Toronto

Dr. Peter Stratton
Leeds Family Therapy and Research Centre
School of Psychology
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT  UK
Phone 0113 2335728