     Code-A-Text can code against digitized video clips as well as text and
     offers a range of analysis tools.  For details and a free demo CD-ROM,
     please contact Scolari:

     North, Central and South America
     www.scolari.com

     Rest of World
     www.scolari.co.uk

     Clive Parry
     Head of Software Marketing
     Scolari
     Sage Publications Software
     6 Bonhill Street
     London, EC2A 4PU
     UK

     Tel: +44 (0)171 330 1222
     Fax: +44 (0)171 374 8741

Subject: video analysis software?
Author:  MIME:[log in to unmask] at SAGELINK
Date:    02/02/99 16:46

Hi,

Can anyone recommend software that would allow us to annotate digitized
video clips?  I'm aware of WebConstellations and C-video, and
text-analysis softwrae that can also incorporate video or at least
stills, like Atlas/ti.  We have two needs for the kind of software we
are looking for:

_Students doing their own ethnographies in which they make video clips
and tell a story of their learning with them.  We want the accounts they
create to be in electronic form, and codable according to the type of
learning advance they are reporting, and non-textual aspects o
communication, such as gesture, interactions with mediational
materials,"thinking types" in which students label the purpose/role of
the clip in their overall communication, etc.   The idea is to develop a
database of such accounts with extensive search capabilities.

_We have similar needs for our own research, likely with more extensive
coding needs than students would use.

As I hinted, I think we can do this with analysis tools where text is
central, but are wondering what's available that has video as the
central object.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jan van Aalst, Ph.D.
OISE/University of Toronto