Fellow listers,
                     I received the following request recently:

> Dear Ian,

First of all, thanks for the interest you showed. I am a young soccer player
and have been diagnosed as having osteitis pubis. The diagnosis has been
substantiated with the use of X-Rays and a Bone Scan.

The pain in the right groin region had started growing slowly. At first the
pain occurred after having played a match. I used to go for physiotherapy
sessions in a heated pool. The injury seemed to improve and I started
running. At this time the pain was practically inexistent. After this period
the club doctor instructed me to start normal training schedules, at which
point, the pain came back. This whole period took me around six months.

>From there, I had to start all over again since the pain was quite intense.
The main problem I have now is that the pain, (after around three months of
physiotherapy in the pool) has moved to the left groin area and does not
seem to be decreasing. Also, the pain I now encounter is different, in that
the pain occurs when I try to open my left foot outwards, and not when
pressing my knees together.

Also different doctors have advocated different procedures. The club doctor
has advised me to continue with the physiotherapy. Another sports doctor,
has advised me to take corticosteroid injections, whilst a third foreign
doctor who works in Malta and whom my club took me to see opted for an
operation.

 If anyone on the list knows something about the condition and the pros and
cons of the different treatments, could he forward this information to me.

Thanks a lot.
C.S.>

If anyone can offer anything in the way of advice and information for this
athlete he would be very grateful. Also if anyone could provide me with
references to books or papers that deal with Osteitis Pubis, and a copy of
the paper below I would be very grateful. If you could reply to me off-list
I will compile a summary of replies for Carmel. If others would like a
summary I will post it to the list. As a matter of interest I am not
offering or seeking paid consultancy.

Clinics in Sports Medicine October 1998 - "Groin Pain in the Soccer Athlete:
Fact, Fiction, and Treatment" by Jerry
Gilmore.

Many regards,
                       Ian