Several public service items which appeared this week on the AOL (America On
Line Internet Service Provider) Health News column are quoted below for your
interest.

ITEM 1 Comment:  Though the advice about the use of ice in acute inflammatory
conditions generally may be sound, its routine application to "back pain" in
general, however harmless it may be, needs more adequate comment about its
scope and limitations.

Firstly, attribution of all acute back pain to inflammation is simplistic,
especially since there are a multitude of causes of acute back pain, only some
of which are inflammatory or pathological.  Moreover, back pain caused by
protective muscular spasm may well be attenuated more effectively by warmth.

The statement that  "I have seen heat do more damage in acute injuries than
anything else" is rather overdramatised and conjectural, because I doubt if he
has performed biopsies or carried out MRIs etc to clinically assess the extent
of damage before and after the application of heat.

Possibly more noteworthy is the comment: "When in doubt, call your
chiropractor for advice."  Noting that AOL serves something like 12 million
customers, this message reaches a huge audience and any medical columnist
carrying out his duties objectively would rather have written "consult your
doctor, physical therapist or chiropractor."

ITEM 2 Comment:  The quotation that "A recent Harris Poll survey found that
patients with back problems were more satisfied with chiropractic treatment
than other types of care"  surely is intended to sell chiropractic more than
to inform the public.

The same AOL column gives advice from "kinesiologists" and Alexander
Technicians, but nothing from physical therapists - apparently the latter have
nothing to do with back pain and disability.   This type of biased journalism
does AOL no credit whatsoever; nor does it do credit to the numebr of highly
informed and comradely chiros who belong to this list.  Health care is meant
to involve all who can help the patient, not only those who want to capture
the market or media headlines.

Although I am not a physical therapist, I find this type of propaganda on AOL
very distasteful and I hope that future Health News items present a far more
balanced approach to medical topics.

How do others feel about this issue?

Mel Siff

<< ITEM 1:

Quick Relief for Back Pain
by Dr. Malcolm Conway

Let's review a few quick remedies to help you if you are presently
experiencing acute low back pain.

If the pain just came on, the rule of thumb is to use ice. Why ice? Because
ice is a vasoconstrictor (reduces the size of the blood vessel) and will help
keep the inflammation down to a minimum. By reducing the inflammation, you
will reduce the amount of scar tissue coming into that area. Ice also produces
a temporary analgesic effect on the pain. With the proper use of the ice you
can possibly decrease the use of medication.

Heat on a new injury usually isn't good because it becomes a vasodilator
(opens blood vessels) and will let more inflammation into the damaged area. In
my treating experience, I have seen heat do more damage in acute injuries than
anything else. If the injury is new, you're much better off using ice on a new
injury instead of heat. . . . . . .

How long should you use ice?
The textbooks say no more that 72 hours, but I have used ice successfully for
over one week. How to use it with success all depends on the situation. When
in doubt, call your chiropractor for advice.

Remember, this is only a temporary solution to a possible injury that may need
professional assistance. If the pain continues, call your health professional
for an appointment.

Copyright 1999 Malcolm Conway

Dr. Malcolm Conway is a practicing chiropractor in Pennsylvania.  . . . >>

ITEM 2:

<<Spinal Manipulation
by <A HREF="aol://4344:1679.AUTH_015.13642859.530311650">Jane Dusek, DC</A>

After intensive study and evaluation, government researchers have concluded
what millions of chiropractic patients have known for years: Spinal
manipulation is a safe and effective form of initial treatment for one of the
most common health complaints -- acute low back problems. For nearly a
century, spinal manipulation has been what chiropractors do best. It provides
relief from pain without drugs or surgery. . . . .

A recent Harris Poll survey found that patients with back problems were more
satisfied with chiropractic treatment than other types of care, and 70 percent
of Americans surveyed believe that chiropractic should be included as a basic
benefit in their health plans.

In another study, the prestigious Rand Corporation concluded that spinal
manipulation was an appropriate treatment for acute low back pain, and
reported from its analysis that 94 percent of all manipulations are performed
by doctors of chiropractic.>>

Dr Mel C Siff
Denver, USA