Dear Vanessa,

> I wonder if cervical traction could aggravate the neural tissues of
> someone with underlying ANT/AMT?

I think it could and to minimize that risk I think it is very important
to check (and treat if necessary) all joints that is situated along the
the affected nerve tract (including the crvical spine).

> Currently I get pts with ANT/AMT to do gentle neural stretches in a
> range that is only at the beginning of their symptoms. I tell them to
> hold the stretch for 10 secs and do 3 reps twice daily.

Personally I avoid holding the neve stretched, I prefer to use movement
to "nudge" it back and forth.

> This regime has had fairly good results, but I heard that this has now
> changed. Anyone know the latest ideas and any references to back it
> up?

Well this is slightly off topic, but the information about the
muscle-dural bridges between Occiput-C1 and C1-C2 might be of interest,
you find it on:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/vhp_conf/hack2/hack2.htm
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChiropractieJasperse/cervha.htm
http://hal.bim.msu.edu/Research/AOA/intro.html