At 09:28 AM 2/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Owen:
>
>Is there any evidence that conclusively supports what you seem to imply -
>i.e. that physio is HIGHLY effective for low back pain? Feel free to use
>any specific pathology that can be definitely ascertained by a physical
>examination.Best of luck mate!!

The BEST studies that I have seen were studies performed by the Department
of Family Medicine Uppsala University, Uppsal Sweden.  The primary
researcher was Stefan Blomberg.  They are published in book form under the
title "A pragmatic approach to low-back pain including manual therapy and
steroid injections:  A multicentre Study in pPrimary Health Care" ACTA
UNIVERSITATIS UPSALIENSIS Comprehensive Summaries of Uppsala Dissertations
from the Faculty of Medicine 394, 1993.  The specific articles are as follows

Blomberg S, et al.  A controlled, multicentre trial of manuall therapy in
low-back pain; iniitial status, sick-leave and pain score during follow-up.
 Scandianaviouan Journal of Prmary Health CAre 1992; 10:170-78

Blomberg S Eet al.  A randomized study of manual therapy with steroid
injections i low-back pain; telephone interview folow-up pain, disabliity,
recovery and rug consumption.  European Spine Journal 1994;3:246-54

Blomberg S, et al.  Manual therapy with steroid injections-a new approach
to treatment of low back pain; a controlled multicenter trial with an
evaluation by orhtopedic surgeons.  Spine 1994;19:569-77

Blomberg S, Tibblin G.  A controlled, multicnetre trial of manual therpay
with steroid injections in low back pain; function variables, side effects
and complications during four months follow-u.  Clinical Rehabilitation
1993;7:49-62

Blomberg S, et al.  manual therapy with steroid injections in low back
pain; improvement of quality of life in a controlled trial with four
months' follow-up.  Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Car 1993;11:83-90

This was a very interesting series of well performed research that suggests
a "pragmatic approach".  In other words, treatment must take into account
that back pain has multiple etiologies.  Other studies that I don't have in
front of me are the studies so often cited by chiropractors on the efficacy
of "manipulation" on acute back pain.  The studies which were referenced
were actually studies performed in England by PHYSICAL THERAPISTS using
Maitland mobilization techniques (as I remember the studies).  Since so
many members of this board are based in England, maybe someone could give
those references--I don't have them off hand.  Hope this helps clear up
that there are studies that show statistical and clinical evidence of the
efficacy of physical therapy (the studies although stating "manual therapy"
actually used a mutltifaceted approach of PT including exercise...Also, the
number of injections used was less than an average of 1/patient--this
people were not given a lot of cortisone.
>I'm not being a smart__se, but the conclusion that PT is not that great is
>quite reasonable, based on the research so far.
>

>Michael Meddows
>Virginia Beach

Herb Silver