Passover is not always on the eve of the Sabbath; for example, this
year it is Thursday, April 1.  The accepted Christian chronology of the
Last Supper presumes that Passover that year was also on a Thursday
night, which was when the Last Supper was held-- hence the commemoration
of the institution of the eucharist by the Last Supper in the Maundy
Thursday services of the Church.  Christ was tried on Friday morning and
executed between noon and 3 pm, which is when Good Friday services are
traditionally held.  He then rose on Sunday - the third day.  He was
never held to have been executed on the Sabbath; indeed, the Gospels
recount how he was hastily buried in order for it to be done before
sundown, and observation of the Sabbath was why the women did not go to
his tomb to complete his burial rites until Sunday, when they discovered
he had risen.

	This is at least the modern and early modern understanding; I presume
the medieval was not any different.

Sharon Arnoult
SWT-History