Brian Stock's *Implications of Literacy* deals implicitly with this question
(for an earlier period) in the section on textual communities.

There must be (?) literature on preaching and on pastoral care that deals
with the use of the vernacular as a means of defusing the sort of
anti-clerical sentiment you mention, though I don't know of anything specific
offhand.

For the late medieval/Reformation period, there might be something on the
question in Steven Ozment's books (e.g. *The Reformation in the Cities*),
though medievalists are advised to approach his work with extreme
caution--his arguments on "social control" are problematic. Miriam Chrisman's
work on Strasbourg might also be useful on the question of the relationship
between literacy and views of the clergy. I don't recall if there's anything
on this issue in the collection *Anticlericalism in Late Medieval and Early
Modern Europe*, ed. Peter A. Dykema and Heiko A. Oberman, Studies in Medieval
and Reformation Thought, 51 (Leiden, 1993), but it might be worth a look.

Hope this helps--an interesting question!

Eric Reiter
Concordia University, Montreal