Christopher Crockett wrote:

My apologies for breathing into a dying string (I've been computerless
for the week and can't help myself), but the subject seems important enough
and I've been interested in it--for several reasons--for donkies' years.

My understanding (easily wrong, as usual) is that
three-fold/four-fold/*-fold ways of looking at scripture (and, by extension,
everything else) were not just *a* way of approaching things, but *the* way,
universally accepted and permeating all aspects of the medieval "mindset"
(sorry).

Including, for example, literature (cf. the discussion in Robertson's _Preface
to Chaucer_, based [?] on Augustine's _On Christian Doctrine_, which slipped
by Otfried [!???]).

Although the _Glossa Ordinaria_ (partly the life's work of Abelard's smokey
nemesis, Anselm of Laon and available in two vols. of the PL), and St. Thomas'
_Caetana Aurea_ (based on the _G.O._) provide an exhaustive view of the whole
Bible seen through the lens of this this way of "looking", it is the
wonderfully subtle liturgical sermons of Guerric of Igny (Latin/French ed. in
_Sources Chretiennes_; English trans. in the Cistercian Fathers series) which
are my personal favorite "practical" application of this "method" of exegesis.

Perhaps enough mistakes for a single post.

I've not kept up on the literature and the memory fades, but, as I say,
an important topic which might be of more interest to others.

Someone please correct me before I faut again.

Best to all from here,

Christopher

The person with the best perspective I have ever seen on the senses of scripture is Karlfried Froehlich of Princeton. I've heard him talk about this a couple times at Kalamazoo, and he mentions it briefly it his Biblical Interpretation in the Early Church. Simply put, he sees the senses as a kind of "school exercise" that interpreters had to learn before going on to an even deeper level.  That's why medieval exegetes so seldom refer to the four senses--they've gone beyond it.  So, they were only "the way" in a limited sense.

Steve Cartwright
Western Michigan University