Date:          Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:59:07 +0000 (GMT)
Subject:       Re: christianising
From:          [log in to unmask]
To:            [log in to unmask]
Cc:            [log in to unmask]

> Dear Laura,
>
> The answer was to get two young steers, never broken to the
> yoke, and put them in the same yoke, and let them loose at night. Where they
> were found the next morning was the proper site for the church. This method
> of locating a church or determining the resting place of a relic was used in
> Spain to locate the church of St. James of Compostella, and in Italy to
> determine St. Luccia was the proper place for the Cross.
>
> Good hunting, Jim

Similarly, yoked cattle (I think... Help me out here, Miriam) determined the
resting place of St Walstan in Norfolk; a cow determined the site of St
Arilda's church at Oldbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire; another revealed the
grave (and church site) of St Kenelm at Romsley, Worcestershire. That's three
cases from England. From Catalunya I can offer yoked mules determining the
resting place of a miraculous Mother-of-God at Montblanc. Can someone point us
in the direction of a detailed discussion of this motif?

Graham Jones
Leicester

We need to add the hart on Thanet in the Mildrith legend.
Julia Barrow