This may be slightly off the mark in terms of period, but I thought that
it is worth pointing out that the issue of Christianising Pagan sites
is discussed by the early 17th century Jesuit Roberto de'Nobili.
De'Nobili was the first missionary who tried to convert Hindu Brahmans.
While defending his methods of adaptation against his ennemies he
invoked several medieval examples of Christianisation of Pagan sites.
These references were, I suspect, part of the Jesuit defense of
adaptation methods in their Oriental missions.

Francois.