Dearest medieval-religion colleagues,

minutes before I'm to leave for the weekend, my e-mail connection -- cut for the
better part of a month due to my moving to a new (and bigger; wow!) office -- has
been restored. Unable to resist temptation, I'm writing to:

a) beg forgiveness from PR and other list members for my silence; and

b) pass along this urgent request from my fellow Italianist lecturer at Leicester,
Marina Spunta. (As soon as she heard about my e-mail being back in service, she lept
on this opportunity; a sharp colleague!)

Marina is writing an article on a recent book by Francesca Duranti, *Effetti
personali*, and wants to track down a quotation provided in that book. Duranti gives
the following quote from Hugh of Saint-Victor:

**********
Patet ergo quantae amoenitatis locus ille fuit... qui fontibus et
fluminibus irriguus, arboribus omnis generis frondosus et nemorosus,
fructo tam pulchro ad videndum quam suavi ad vescendum refertus
praedicatur.

(E` manifesto quanto fosse ameno quel luogo... che si dice fosse
percorso da fonti e fiumi, frondoso e boscoso di alberi d'ogni genere,
ricco di frutti tanto belli da vedere quanto dolci da mangiare.)
**********

According to Duranti, this comes from: 'Hugonis de S. Victore, *Dogmatica*, pars II'.
Does anyone out there have a precise source that Marina can cite and eventually
check?

Marina thanks you, and so do I. It's good to be back on line!

Best wishes to all,
George

George Ferzoco                   tel ++  44  (0)116  252 2654
Director of Italian Studies      fax ++  44  (0)116  252 3633
University of Leicester          e-mail  [log in to unmask]
School of Modern Languages
LEICESTER LE1 7RH
UNITED KINGDOM