Dear Jessalyn,

Having myself only recently completed my doctoral research on the
reception of the "Sibylla Tiburtina" I was very interested in your query
concerning the impact of prophecy on the crusades. Several things came to
mind. Fistly, have you looked at Matthew Paris' Chronica Majora, which
cntains a fair bit of prophetic material and covers the period you are
interested in? Also, there is already some good, well-indexed secondary
literature on prophecy and Matthew Paris which would allow you to survey
this source quickly, e.g. Suzanne Lewis, The art of Matthew Paris (199?)
and Karl Schnith, England in einer sich wandelnden Welt (197?).

Also, I wonder if you know Carl Erdmann's article on the impact of
prophecy on the FIRST crusade. This article appeared in the 1930s (1931,
I think) in Zeitschrift fuer Kirchengeschichte, but it is a much cited
"classic" and relates closely to your own line of inquiry.

Good luck,

Dr. Anke Holdenried
University College London