Apologies to members of  the FGLS mailing list, who have
received it already, but there may be people who might
still wish to attend FGLS3 - they will be welcome. We have
as you will see a good range of papers (barring calamity or
mass withdrawal), but might be able to squeeze in a couple
more, if anybody has any lying fallow. Anyway, prospective
participant or Zuhoerer, I'll be glad to hear from you.
Please use the attached form to register. I'm afraid the
supply of on-campus accommodation has dried up, but other
possibilities of accommodation are listed.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

John Partridge

FORUM FOR GERMANIC LANGUAGE STUDIES 3, FEBRUARY 26-27
Cornwallis North West Building, University of Kent at
Canterbury

For maps see

http://speke.ukc.ac.uk/ukc/location.html#maps

PROGRAMME

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 26
1600 Arrival and registration
18.30 Reception
19.30-21.00 Keynote Speech: Manfred Hellmann,IDS Mannheim
'Lexikologische Erschließung des "Wendekorpus"'

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 27

Session A
LEXICOLOGY
9.00 Peter Lutzeier, Univ. Surrey
Lexicology and Corpus Linguistics
9.45 Piklu Gupta, Univ. Hull.
'German be- verbs and the Generative Lexicon: Theory and
practical application'
10.30 coffee
11.00 Doris Steffens, IDS Mannheim
'Neologismen im Deutschen unter besonderer Berücksichtigung
der Anglo-Amerikanismen'
11.45 Ann Lawson, IDS Mannheim
'Setting a Good Example: Collocationalinformation for
language learners'

Session B
MORPHOLOGY
9.00 Matthias Schulze, UMIST
'German Shapes'
DISCOURSE
9.45
Elisabeth El Refaie, Bradford Univ.
'Keeping out "Waves" of Refugees: Discursive Constructions
of Austrians and others'
10.30 coffee
11.00 Nicole Richardson, Liverpool John Moores Univ.
'A sociolinguistic investigation of
doctor-patient communication in Germany and Great Britain'
REGIONAL VARIATION
11.45 Charles Russ, Univ. York
'Some regional aspects of the development of NHG in South
West Germany'

Session C
TEACHING AND 2ND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION
9.00 Jenny Bruen, Dublin City Univ.
'Learning to speak German: profiling the successful oral
communicator'
9.45 Cliona Marsh, University College,Dublin
'A Study of Third level Students' Metalinguistic
Knowledge: Work in Progress'
10.30 coffee
11.00 Regina Weinert, Univ. Sheffield
'The relationship between data and rules in second language
acquisition - evidence from L2 German'
11.45 Stefanie Haberzettl, Univ. Potsdam
'Die Verbstellungsregeln des Deutschen als Lerngegenstand '

12.30 Lunch

13.45 FGLS Business Meeting

Session D
REGIONAL VARIATION
14.30 Wini Davies, Univ. Aberystwyth
'Dialekt als Chance?  Language Awareness amongst Teachers
in a Pfälzisch Dialect Area.'
15.15 Gertrud Reershemius, Univ. Aston
'Codeswitching in Low German'

Session E
VALENCY
14.30 Klaus Fischer, London Guildhall Univ.
'Some statistical observations on German and English
sentences'

Session F
TRANSLATION
14.30 Margaret Rogers, Univ. Surrey
'Native versus non-native competence in German-English
translation'

16.00 Tea and Departure

TEDIOUS ADMINISTRATIVE DETAILS:

CONFERENCE FEE, payable to Unikent = £30
(includes registration, reception, midday meal,
refreshments)

ACCOMMODATION: three possibilities are offered

A)	It being term-time, there is only restricted
	on-campus accommodation:

	There are four twin-bed rooms in Eliot College: at
	£20 for one person, £25 for two,
 	one en-suite twin-bed room at
	£25 for one person, £30 for two.
	Please let me know if you would like to take up one
	- or more! - of these.

B)	Otherwise, please book your own hotel/B&B accommodation c/o

	Canterbury Tourist Information Centre
	34, St. Margarets St
	Canterbury
	Kent
Phone: 01227 766567

A useful website is

	http://www.canterbury-pages.co.uk/location
	/Canterbury/Accommodation/

C)	If you come by car and don't mind being a few miles
	out of town there are two motels (not of the Psycho
	type and eminently respectable), reached by
	following signs for A299 Whitstable/Herne
	Bay/Ramsgate at the termination of the M2 :

i)	Forte Travelodge
	A299 Thanet Way
	Whitstable
phone 01227 770980
	[Follow A290 for about 5 miles. You'll see signs to
	the left for Waterham and Graveney and immediately
	afterwards a Shell station and a Little Chef. Pull
	off left for the Shell station. The Travelodge lies
	behind it.]

ii)	The Long Reach Beefeater & Travel Inn
	A299 Thanet Way

	Whitstable
phone 01227 272459
	[Go past Travelodge and leave A299 shortly
	afterwards for Whitstable and Canterbury
	A2990/A290).  You'll see the Long Reach on the
	right at the top of the hill, but it's best to go
	round the island and turn in left.]

More information will be forthcoming, by mail and on the
FGLS website.Please fill in the booking form below and mail
or fax it to me, and send a hard copy version with cheque
in confirmation. Please address any queries to me or to
Sheila Holness <[log in to unmask]> or on 01227 823638, address
as
below.

Looking forward to hearing from you and seeing you here at
the end of February.

John
----------------------
Dr John Partridge
German Section
School of European Culture and Languages
University of Kent at Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent CT2 7NF
UK

Phone ++44 1227 823617
Fax   ++44 1227 823641
FGLS3 26-7 February 1999, University of Kent at Canterbury

Please mail or fax your booking using this form and send hard copy with cheque in confirmation.

Name(s):

Mailing address:

Phone:

Fax:

E-mail:

Please reserve ___  places at FGLS3

*Please book ___ beds *en suite on campus for Feb. 26 *and/or Feb. 27.

*I shall book my own accommodation

*I am travelling by car. Please issue me a parking pass. Registration number ________________

Any special requirements, e.g. dietary?

*Delete as appropriate
Dr John Partridge
German Section
Course Director
MA in Applied Language Studies: Computing