[log in to unmask],Net wrote at 14:37 on 06/02/99
about "Re: Preventing osteoporosis in woman with h/o kidney stone":
-----------------------------
>http://text.nlm.nih.gov/nih/cdc/www/67txt.html
Yes, interesting

>Much of the literature with which I am familiar states that doses
greater
>than 2000mg/day (http://www.menopause-online.com/calcium.htm) are
>associated with kidney stones.
Aha, but - the _numbers_?

>And ---  http://www.cma.ca/disease/osteo_p1/no4.htm#risks
Yes, thanks.

Also found
http://som.flinders.edu.au/fusa/cochrane/
http://hiru.mcmaster.ca/cochrane/cochrane/revabstr/ab001347.htm
http://hiru.mcmaster.ca/cochrane/cochrane/revabstr/ab000952.htm
which are abstracts in the Cochrane database that indicate teh
desirability of starting some sort of bone-protection in continuing
steroid Rx...but no numbers in the abstract, and I don't have the
whole database.

Toby is absolutely right, we need this sort of thing networked over
the PCG networks that should have been running for a year now...
and as lead GP for IM&T in Exeter I am very pelased that my clincial
governance leads came to just the same view - they echo the call of
the CMO for "15 second knowledge"

>  At 11:14 AM 2/6/1999 +0000, Toby Lipman 7, Collingwood Terrace,
Jesmond,
>Newcastle upon Tyn wrote:

>>>I don't feel I am doing very well at this, and yet it should be a
>>>fairly common question to look for an answer to.

>>I'd probably start with Best Evidence on the basis that if I hit lucky
I keep that running on my desktop all the time anyway.  But not for
this question.

>>The big problem is when you realise you need the full text. It's just
>>not practical to go to the postgrad centre and photocopy the paper
each
>>time.

>>I'm increasingly irritated that IM & T implementation does not
include a
>>strategy for getting full texts to clinicians quickly. Those managers
>>I've spoken to about it don't even understand why it might be
important
>>and they're more concerned with whether we've an armed guard on each
PC
>>before we get connected to the NHS net!

NHS Net, an idea whose time will pass.  Before it gets installed.

--- OffRoad 1.9r registered to Adrian Midgley