<<Finally a question to the members.
The students wanted to know when should they look for evidence? Is it
for all cases they will see in their practice and are there any
guidelines to decide on which of the cases/patients they should hunt for
evidence?
Any thoughts on the above will be gratefully received and I will relay
them to our students.>>

Warning, this answer is tangential (at best) to your question, but you
triggered something...

A while back, someone (I can't remember who) posted a note on the list to
say that they were only able to produce a few critically appraised topics
per month (and seemed to feel somewhat guilty about it.)
At our program, too, we had the lofty goal that with three-group journal
clubs meeting every two weeks and with faculty support for looking at the
evidence during precepting sessions, and even with my own personal goal of
one CAT per week......the formal production of reviewed evidence just
doesn't get done to meet our expectations...

HOWEVER, the use of evidence-based resources and "informal CATs" (i.e. ones
that aren't saved for posterity in written form) HAS increased
markedly...and I think it's here that one of the major battles is won.  As
you've seen, though, as residents and students begin to question what
they've been taught (or face questioning from others - faculty, other
residents) they begin to feel as though every clinical encounter will end up
in a morass of questions that will tie them to Pub-Med in a never-ending
literature search....

I believe (not my original thoughts at all) that EBM (EBP, EBHC) is mostly
an evolutionary process.  Refining our current knowledge toward more of an
evidence-base will take time.  So I've adopted (and encourage) a
multifaceted approach to the acquisition of this "new" knowledge...do a
little journal club activity, supplement it with a little evidence-based
journal (EBM, ACPJC) browsing, do a CAT or two per (week/month, whatever),
and do the "quick hunt for evidence" (Cochrane, Best evidence, etc.)
whenever a patient's problem is bothering you or represents a common
situation you'll encounter again...

so, to your students, i would say relax and have fun with this rather
exciting, empowering, "new" approach to medical education...don't worry
about doing it all now...

sorry for the length,

john

John Epling, MD