At 14.47 26/02/99 +0000, you wrote:
>A reminder that my resource guide to all studies looking at % of
>evidence based health care is available at:
>
>http://www.shef.ac.uk/~scharr/ir/percent.html

You can add to your precious resource:

Slim K, Lescure G, Voitellier M, Ferrandis P, Le Roux S, Dumas PJ, Lere JM, Patouillard P, Caburet A, Baudet B, Rolet JP, Prat M, Pezet D, Chipponi J. Is laparoscopic surgical practice "factual" (evidence based)? Results of a prospective regional survey. Presse Med 1998 Nov 21;27(36):1829-33

OBJECTIVE: Evidence-based medicine is a growing paradigm in health care. We conducted a prospective study to determine whether laparoscopic surgery is truly evidence-based in everyday practice.
METHODS: A prospective regional survey was performed in 11 French hospitals (one university and 10 district hospitals) to ascertain how general laparoscopic surgery was conducted during the last 3 months of 1997. We also searched the electronic databases for original articles on laparoscopic procedures. The methodology of randomized trials was analyzed and procedures were classed by level of evidence. We assumed that an evidence-based procedure was which had been validated by well-designed randomized controlled or prospective trials giving homogeneous results.
RESULTS: One half of the procedures performed had been evaluated by randomized controlled trials. Among the 428 laparoscopic procedures, 334 (78%) were found to be evidence-based (CI 74.1-81.9%). Twelve of the 18 indications for laparoscopy (67%) were evidence based (CI: 62.5%-71.5). There was no difference between university teaching hospitals and general district hospitals. CONCLUSION: Contrary to initial criticisms, the practice of laparoscopic surgery appears to be truly evidence-based in the majority of cases.

Bests
Antonino Cartabellotta, MD

G I M B E
Gruppo Italiano per la Medicina Basata sulle Evidenze
Scientific Centre
Evidence-Based Medicine Niguarda Centre
Continuous Quality Improvement Unit
Niguarda Ca' Granda Hospital