Dear everybody

The WHO has suggested universal immunization with Hepatitis B vaccine in
countries with intermediate prevalence. The Indian Academy of Pediatrics has
dutifully recommended it to pediatricians in the country and to the
government. Pediatricians have in turn  been advising the vaccine. The
vaccine costs about Rupees 750 for 3 doses.

The India Development Report 1997 (Ed. Kirit S Parikh Oxford Press Delhi 1997)
suggests that a third of the population earn less than Rupees 57 per capita
per month. The major killers here are diarrhea, respiratory infections and
malnutrition. Basic amenities like  safe drinking water are not available to
the majority.

Does the WHO really want universal immunization with Hepatitis B as a
priority over the provision of clean drinking water?
At what stage of infrastructure development in a country does Hepatitis B
prevention by vaccination take priority? Is there any study about this?

How does one compute the cost effectiveness of Hepatitis B
vaccination . One way to compute cost effectiveness would
be to look at the cost of a liver transplant and  the cost of
vaccinating n number of people to prevent the need for that
transplant. If the cost of the latter is less than the former it can
be called a cost effective intervention. But surely the WHO is
aware of the ground realities in developing countries.
Liver transplant is not an option for 99.99% of the population.
For one person dying of liver failure hundreds of others die
of diarrhea. The interventions (like provision of clean drinking water)
required to save these hundreds would cost a fraction of what is required
for Hepatitis B vaccines.

Is it right that developing countries are advised to spend their
meager resources on this expensive Program of universal immunization
with Hepatitis B vaccine?

The WHO is manned by the best brains in the world. There must
be very sound reasons for their recommendation. I am however
curious to know their  reasoning.
I put my question to them via Email. I have not heard  in reply. Probably
the Email did not reach the right person.

I wonder if any one in this discussion group  can help with the answers.

Jacob M. Puliyel
Head  Department of Pediatrics
St Stephens Hospital
Tis Hazari Delhi110054