Date: Sun, 21 Feb 99 10:24:20 CET
From: patsilarasvasilis
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Bosnia, Kossovo and Kurdistan Gabor's Question

I think this is a very naive approach to intra-country conflicts,
because it does not take into consideration the role of outside intervention
and interference. Yogoslavia, with all its shortcomings and lack of
democracy, had achieved a remarkable level of cohesiveness among its various
racial and religious groups, up until the great powers decided to break the
country up, by arming, instigating and siding opensly with a minority group,
the Muslim Bosnians. The same disastrous prescription is now repeated in
Kossovo. In reality it has very little to do with the people's perception of
power structure, but rather it is a clear cut reaction to outside bland
manipulation of local sentiments and politics.

The argument becomes clear when the case of Bosnia (and Kossovo) is compared
to the case of Kurdistan. In the case of Yogoslavia, the Muslims are
instigated and armed to the boot (by whom?) to revolt against Serbs,
allegedly in order to protect their rights and national (!!) identity. The
rights of these precious minorities have to reign suprime in our consiense,
thus the big propaganda about human (read Muslim Bosnian) rights. In the
case of Kurdistan, on the other hand, which is an ancient (Muslim too)
nation with a far more dinstictive identity than the Muslims in Bosnia or
Kossovo, no rights are recognised and even their national identity is not
even acknowledged. Twenty five million people fighting against anihilion by
the Turkish rulling bladdy military regime are called terrorist (Muslim
Bosnian and Kossovans are not terrorists?) and they are refused the mere
right of existance, so eagerly recognised to Bosnians and Kossovans.

In the last 10 years or so, 4,000 Kurd villages have been erased from the
surface of the earth and millions of people have been killed, while tousands
are being imprisoned and torured in an holocaust every bit as bad as
Hitler's percecussion of Jews and other minorities. Turkey's military regime
is the only fascist regime in power in the world today. A few days ago the
leader of Kurds was illegally abdacted by the Turks in Kenya and as we speak
he is being tortured and subjected to humiliation, much worse than the one
suffered by Stalin's opponents in the infamous Moscow trials. None of this
becomes headlines, however. It behoves all those who try to control our
lifes to keep silent about the real causes of all these troubles and just
talk some theoritical "bull" about people's faith in representative or
authoretarian regimes. This analysis may be suitable to western countries,
but have no application whatsoever to Yugoslavia, Kossovo, Kurdistan and
other troubled places around the world, where human life is cheap.

Vasilis Patsilaras

>>Gabor,
>>
>>You don't just ask the easy questions, do you?
>>
>>I have been discussing something very similar with a group of my friends
>>scattered around the world.  I think it is the Politics of Desperation.
As
>>people's faith in representative or even authoritarian forms of government
>>wane, they need to replace it with other institutions. These institutions
>>need to be _obvious_ in both their form and execution.  So you end up
>>Bosnians and Serbs, who once lived together peacefully, fighting each
other
>>for land and lineage that none of them are old enough to remember.
>>
>>When under authoritarian rule, they had both other things to worry about
>>_and_ no hope of being able to divide land.  In addition, they had faith
in
>>their government.  This doesn't mean that they _liked_ their government --
>>but they had faith that it was stable and that it could, for better or
>>worse, act.
>>
>>Once that comes into question, any number of political scenarios can
>>begin -- depending on who builds the first demonstratable movement or
power
>>structure.  Being able to divide up ethnically, racially, or by religion
is
>>the easiest to see, easiest to defend, and easiest in terms of being able
>>identify the problem (the other race, creed, etc.).
>>
>>These groups are usually focused on one leader -- but everyone feels like
>>they are part of the movement because they are actually participating in
>it.
>>They feel great ownership in it.  Whereas before, in their representative
>>democracy or authoritarian regime, they felt virtualy no ownership due to
>>their incredible level of removal from any vestiges of power.
>>
>>Then people start fighting.  And when people die, the survivors feel more
>>need to achieve their goals and more personal ownership in the cause.
They