Workshop announcement - apologies for multiple postings!

CTI Medicine Workshop

INTRODUCING VIRTUAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS

9:30am - 4:00pm,  Monday 22 March 1999
University of Bristol

OVERVIEW

Currently one of the hottest phrases in learning technology, Virtual
Learning Environments (VLEs) propose to encapsulate both the management
and delivery of on-line learning materials.

This technology aims to provide a common mechanism for the production
and delivery of learning materials, management of discussion and
feedback, timetabling, student support, assessment and evaluation.
Although many institutions are seeking to implement such a resource,
the use of common approaches will ensure free exchange of content and
good practice between and within institutions.

Key to the development of open standards is the Educom Instructional
Management Systems (IMS) Project, and this will be addressed by our
first speaker Dr Oleg Liber, University of Wales, Bangor.

Secondly, it is becoming increasingly difficult to envisage a networked
learning architecture that does not afford opportunities for academics
to share their teaching materials, or one where students cannot find
information from non-institutional sources.  Dr David Lush, University
of the West of England, will address the issues surrounding resource
sharing and collaboration arising from use of an networked learning
environment.

Finally, it is important that we understand the issues inherent in
producing learning content for such environments.  Our final speaker,
Mr Simon Price, University of Bristol, has many years experience as an
author of computer-based learning materials, and of templates allowing
non-technical staff to easily transfer materials to a computer-based
architecture.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND?

Academics and IT professionals who are interested in the potential for
managing teaching and learning, and providing a unified mechanism for
creation of materials, support, feedback, collaboration and assessment.

Although we envisage many of our audience being involved with medical
education, the workshop will be generic and applicable to all
disciplines.

WORKSHOP THEMES AND LEADERS

VLEs / IMS:         Dr Oleg Liber, University of Wales, Bangor

SHARED RESOURCES:   Dr David Lush, University of the West of England

CONTENT PRODUCTION: Mr Simon Price, University of Bristol

REGISTRATION

Please complete the booking form below and return to CTI Medicine,
either by email ([log in to unmask]) or post by 12TH MARCH at the
latest.  Please note that spaces are limited. Our postal address can be
found at the end of this message.

On-line registration is available at http://www.cticm.bristol.ac.uk/vle

COST:  25 Pounds, including buffet lunch and refreshments.

----- [cut here and return to [log in to unmask]] -----

WORKSHOP BOOKING FORM
Virtual Learning Environments, 22 March 1999

Title:       __________________

Name:        __________________

Department:  ___________________________________

Institution: ___________________________________

Address:     ___________________________________

             ___________________________________

Postcode:    __________________

Tel:         __________________

Fax:         __________________

Email:       __________________

please tick

[ ]  I enclose a cheque for 25UKP, made payable to University of Bristol
[ ]  I will pay on arrival
[ ]  Please invoice me at the address above

Please return this form to

CTI Medicine
University of Bristol
8 - 10 Berkeley Square