Dear all

Like Keith the issues surrounding Hoddle (other than how bad a manager and
motivator he was) that irritated me was the constant references to his
charity work, the use of the term 'these people' and also 'their families',
the phrases 'disabled people' and 'handicapped'.  The more I heard this not
only from him but his supporters the more I felt that he had a problem with
disability and the more I believed he did say what he said.

I have to say I was dissappointed not to see others in the 'movement' or
industry as I often call it, not pick up on the bigger hole hoddle was
digging.

references to people and children with disbilities as 'children of God'.
As a recovering catholic and with a little Gaelige I can confirm that the
church does indeed promote the use of the term 'children of god'. There are
terms in irish for it and up till recently (still in rural areas) children
with disabilities are refered to by religious as 'Gods special children'
and parents are told that they have been blessed or have been given a cross
to bear for a special reason.

This of course is an organisation which brings thousands of children and
Adults to Lourdes for 'the cure'...(been there, done that, have the roasary
beads...)

Don't mean to offend those with strong religious beliefs but having both
worked with catholic organisations in the past who had appalling attitudes
towards people with disabilities and then having had to endure catholism's
reaction to my disabilities, I have learnt the hard way. Much has changed
in Ireland in recent years but the religious are still very heaviliy
involved in running services for people with disabilities, and some othe
attitudes described above are still there.

Yours

Suzy Byrne