Thought this was wild and might interest people on list-
Dave

----------
From: Patrick O'Sullivan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ir-D Indonesia Ireland Info 'War'
Date: Fri, Jan 29, 1999, 1:28 pm

For those who have asked me about the 'war' between Indonesia and Ireland,
the full
story is at Wired News
http://www.wired.com/news/news/email/explode-infobeat/politics/story/17562.h
tml

Indonesia, Ireland in Info War?
by Niall McKay

9:05 a.m.  27.Jan.99.PST
In what may be the first instance of government-supported information
warfare, an
Irish Internet service provider is accusing Indonesia of attacking its
computer
servers. The Indonesian government denied the allegations.
Connect-Ireland hosts the .tp country code domain for the disputed territory
of East
Timor, which has been under Indonesian occupation for almost 25 years.

"I believe the attack was sponsored by the Indonesian government," said
Martin
Maguire, Connect-Ireland's founder and managing director. "I have lodged a
complaint
with the Indonesian Embassy in London."

An embassy spokesman dismissed the charges.

"The Indonesian government has no interest in attacking Irish companies,"
the
spokesman said. "These claims are baseless and without any proof."

Indonesia annexed Timor, located between Australia and Indonesia, in
December 1975
and the island has been fighting for its independence since. On Wednesday,
Indonesia's legislative assembly said it might consider granting
independence to the
troubled province after the country's 7 June national election.

In 1996, Connect-Ireland partnered with East Timor civil rights activists
and
registered the .tp top-level domain. Protesters have used the domain to
distribute
information about Timor's struggle for independence...