CW wrote:

>>Does anyone have any experience of LCD projectors ? How good are they etc.

>>We are looking to put together a (cheap) electronic presentation package
for
>>the department consisting of a notebook and electronic projector or LCD
>>projector. I've seen a notebook with a detachable screen which can be
placed
>>on an OHP which is reasonably priced. However, I'm wary of the quality you
>>could expect from such a system.

I got fed up with the poor quality of video projecton offered at many venues
so I bought one to carry with me. Here are some thoughts:

1 It's a technology that's improving quite quickly so if you buy now then you
should expect to see machines better than the one you bought. This also means
that there are good end-of-run offers available.

2 When you have a shortlist then insist on a shoot-out under the conditions
that are most important to you. You can't judge brightness or sharpness from
the brochures or by comparison of different projectors under different
conditions.

3 Some OHP pads work OK, but it depends a lot on the OHP you'lll be using it
with. Therefore this is not a good technology if you are looking for
something that will work the way you want wherever.

4 If you need to use it in lots of different venues then a good zoom lens is
crucial.

5 A good carry case is vital, and can be more important than the weight: I
bought a hard case on wheels.

Jonathan Kay