Iain

On the whole you have to use your common sense and experience to detect bogus staff.

Really, I'm not sure the problem is big enough to let it interfere with a
handover unless you were suspicious.

If you handed over in good faith to someone claiming to be qualified in some
way I don't think you would be liable in any way (unless you could reasonably
have been expected to be suspicious of the person).

BASICS doctor's have ID cards, but I only know a handfull that carry them.

A far more common situation is genuine medical/nursing staff who are
overwhelmed by the experience of an unexpected emergency in unfamiliar
surroundings and have difficulty coping.  Normally a little gentle prompting
is all that is required ("Do you want me to look after the neck?" etc.).

--
Robbie Coull
BASICS Immediate Care Doctor/ALS Instructor