Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 08:18:42 +1100
From: homan <[log in to unmask]>
To: Susanne Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Society's commitment to disabled people??

Sorry to butt in, but on the subject of charity: it promotes, and
sustains un-equal relationships. It is a structure that leads to the
giver feeling benign and good and virtuous, wheras it sows the seeds of
hate for the giver in those that are deemed so unequal that charity will
benefit, but not too much, because if they did become equal (or better,
perish the thought) what would happen to the mechanisms to make the
giver feel benign, and good and virtuous and superior?

It was not hard to hate the Americans for their largesse after the war,
and our coloured friends in Africa and Asia had good reason to eat
missionaries.

Have a good day, John

--
[InternetShortcut]