Dear listmembers,

At George's suggestion, I have just emerged from my virtual
mail-limbo to see if anyone can help me further with my continued
pondering about the Holy Innocents.  I have in the past received very
helpful responses from a.o. Bonnie Blackburn and Graham Jones with
regard to superstition surrounding Childermass and hope that I this
may again elicit helpful responses.

I am interested to find out more about the actual cult of the Holy
Innocents.  Curiously, notwithstanding the potential abundance of
relics (one Middle-English poet refers to many thousands of massacred
Innocents!), very few churches appear to have been dedicated to them
nor do I know much about veneration of their relics, apart from one
'whole Innocent' apparently given to the franciscan house at Paris by
Louis XI.

Another aspect is the idea that the Holy Innocents seem to have been
considered as protomartyrs;  can anyone help me with more references
about this, please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and acknowledged.  Although it
may be rather rude to barge in like this after more than a year's
absence, may I wish everyone a happy Shrove Tuesday tomorrow and
make the following suggestions for pancakes:  try them with melted
cheese on top, or with thin fried bacon and syrup (the combination
works, honest!).  A more sinful suggestion might be to soak sultanas
in rum overnight and mix them, with sliced apple and honey, through
the batter;  serve with cream, if you dare!

Yours,

Sophie Oosterwijk
Department of the History of Art
University of Leicester