Steve

This topic appeared in a string of emails in Sept 1996 on the list, and
several members admitted to conservative management then ! There are too
many messages to copy, but this was the text of one:

<<Perfectly reasonable strategy - but better left for departments where
there is a stable group of SpR's who give each other a proper handover at
shift's end !!

My first intro to conservative management was as an orthopaedic SHO when I
witnessed my consultant arguing nose-to-nose with a cardiothoracic SR about
whether a 2 year old girl with a # humerus and a small PTX with surgical
emphysema needed a drain. The consultant won, and she resolved within 36
hours under the caring eyes of the paed ward staff . I always find it
amazing how quickly children bounce back to normal activities, even with
appalling injuries !

BTW, what does the list think about the practice of aspirating small
spontaneous pneumothoraces ?  This practice/fad seems endemic amongst
physicians in Hong Kong but I think it's unnecessary in most cases. I've
treated dozens of these conservatively with careful advice to the patient on
activity and when to seek further help, and they have all resolved by 1-2
weeks. Anyone had their fingers burned by doing similar ?

Rob Cocks
Prof. & Director
A&E Medicine
Prince of Wales Hospital