My first thought is, can they stay with a friend/family member for a while
until they can handle stairs?

Secondly, they could have an ambulance ride home, have home health follow-up
to progress to stairs, and pray that there is not fire or emergency.

Third, if they had to go back to that situation, then I would probably have
them go up on their bottom, backwards.  They would likely need help getting up
and down to stand/sit on the bottom step, but would have difficulty at the top
step.  They would need strong arms to do it.

Let us know how it turns out,
Renee Cordrey