Graham!

>One supplementary question, please, Ingegerd, about the central
farms/ritual
>centres. Do you only count cases with all, or a minimum number of
diagnostic
>features, or is one feature sufficient for inclusion in the list?

In my thesis I have used just onomastics (place-names) and written sources,
as one of the points of it was to test independently an assumed link between
high-status farms and imported objects, and I was also dealing with a large
number of farms (over 500).  Obviously, there are degrees of certainty
involved here, and the more features you can include, the greater
reliability can be attached to the interpretation.  Some people apply very
strict standards when using a methodology such as this one, and would
probably demand that, say 4 of 5 criteria should be fulfilled.  I prefer a
more fluid and intuitive approach, but would ideally prefer at least 2
features pointing strongly in the same direction.  You would be surprised to
see how often they do!

I look forward to replies to your comments about the Anglo-Saxon
monasteries - the more I think about it, the more fascinating I find the
involvement of the church with private landowners and the established power
structures in the early days.  And the more doubtful I become of the
sometimes proposed revolution and upheaval that the introduction of
Christianity brought with it.

Ingegerd H.