Dear Hilmar Pabel:

"A subita (et) eterna morte libera" is among the "ab/a" petitions in the Litany
of the Saints.  This sounds a far reach (chronologically), but I think you may
find Michael Lapidge's edition of Anglo-Saxon Litanies of the Saints very
helpful.  He transcribed 46 Litanies, among which your petition appears in 19
It is vol. VI in publications of the Henry Bradshaw Society, London 1991, and
includes an infinitely useful Introduction on the history and development of the
Litany.

It's lamentable that few of us know enough to do the art history of these
manuscripts and the liturgy too.  Particularly in private books of devotions and
prayers, personal tastes and habits often colour contents of prayer texts as
well as pictorial selections.

The Lapidge volume should be readily available on interlibrary loan, if your
library does not subscribe to the HBS series.  Two topically related books you
might also want to see for history, etc. of the Litany are:  Knud Ottosen, The
Responsories and Versicles of the Latin Office of the Dead.  Aarhus University
Press, 1993,  and Sally Eliabeth Roper, Medieval  English Benedictine Liturgy:
Studies in the Formation, Structure, and Content of the Monastic Votive Office,
c. 950-1540.  Garland, 1993.

Earlier, Maurice Coens did a number of studies of Litanies and their
variations;  these were collected in 1963, and published by the Bollandistes as
no. 37, Subsidia Hagiographica:  Recueil d'Etudes Bollandiennes, Brussels 1963.
If the book, it  would be worth a browse.

Best wishes for your work,

Nell Gifford Martin