with regard to icelandic sensibilities, there is a story
(no doubt apocryphal) in which a chieftain is converted because
he is told that he can have as many followers in heaven as
will fit into the church(s) he builds on earth.
meg

> "makes me wonder how
> different Christianity really felt for ordinary people.
> On the ritual side, all the evidence suggests 'Not very much'."

> It occurs to me that we should be careful to understand what we mean by
> 'feel'.
> Different people get different things and feelings from their religion, or
> at least from their Christianity, which is the only religion about which I
> am competent to speak.

> I hesitate to generalise, because someone may well write in and say, "That's
> not how I feel, at all!"  But that's my point:  feelings we regard as
> normative may be quite alien to someone else.

> Many Evangelicals, for example, experience (so I am told!) great joy from
> their faith, and the feeling of having a great load of sin and guilt lifted
> from their shoulders by their faith in the atoning power of Christ's death.

> However, many of the Christians I have had dealings with, and ministered to,
> and taught, have never been aware of carrying a load of guilt in the first
> place.

> Many, (though not all) Catholics have very tender and loving feelings
> towards the Blessed Virgin Mary;  many (though not all) Protestants do not
> share these feelings.

> Such feelings do not, in any case, seem to have played much part in the
> conversion of either England or Iceland.  Bede tells us the marvellous story
> of the sparrow:  "So the life of man appears but for a moment;  what follows
> or indeed what went before, we know not at all.  If this new doctrine brings
> us more certain information, it seems right that we should accept it."
> Christianity appealed to the Anglo-Saxons' insecurity, their fears of the
> unknown.

> In Iceland, the question seems to have been rather of accepting a common law
> under which all could live;  Christianity is seen first and foremost as a
> legal system:

> "Thorgeir asked to be heard, and said, 'It seems to me that an impossible
> situation arises if we do not all have one and the same law.  If the laws
> are divided the peace will be divided, and we cannot tolerate that.  Now,
> therefore, I want to ask heathens and christians whether they will accept
> the law which I am going to proclaim.'" (Njal's Saga, ch. 105)

> Christ is presented in many ways in the New Testament:  As the Lamb of God
> who takes away the sins of the world (appealing to those oppressed by a
> sense of their sinfulness);  as the Light of the World (appealing to those
> who feel in the dark, whether through ignorance, depression or adverse
> circumstances);  as the Good Shepherd (appealing to those who feel lost);
> as the Divine Healer (appealing to those who feel sick in body or mind);  as
> the Image of the Unseen God (appealing to those who feel the need to see
> God), and in many, many other ways.

> Just because we do not see ancient peoples experiencing the feelings we
> [...]

Margaret Cormack			[log in to unmask]
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion	fax: 843-953-6388
College of Charleston			tel: 843-953-8033
Charleston, SC 29424-0001