Ingegerd wrote

> It is partially the ease with which, for instance, Mary, and, I assume, the
> saints, incorporate such old ideas and beliefs that makes me wonder how
> different Christianity really felt for ordinary people.

On the ritual side, all the evidence suggests 'Not very much'.

But what about Christianity as an ethical system? Is enough known, from
Scandinavian sources for example, about the ethical basis of non-Christian
medieval religion (I'm deliberately focusing on north-west Europe and away from
Islam and other 'eastern' systems) to be able to answer your question from that
perspective?

Graham Jones
Leicester