Dear Colleagues:

Yesterday when I posted a message for some funds from reputable institutions for attending a 10 weeks session with Institute for Global Environmental Isuues, some of you taken it in other way and some of you tried to help me a lot. Later I decided to drop here detailed introduction of the IGEI and EPA, Sindh, Pakistan and its activities so far in Pakistan.

I am also posting my little introduction for you and detailed CV will also available immediately.

I am Civil Engineering graduate attended several courses and training programs on environment. Presently working for Environmental Protection Agency since 1994. Pollution prevention and Resource Conservation is the major responsibility of EPA. At present involve in monitoring and management of Air Pollution, EIA review, management of Ozone depleting substances. Coordinating with consultants for development of Hospital Waste Management plan. The 1999 Summer session of IGEI with a theme "Kyoto and Beyond"-implementing the challenges of greenhouse gas emission reduction agreements to climatic changes that lie ahead, will certainly help discharging my duties diligently.

FUNCTIONS/ROLE OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY GOVERNMENT OF SINDH IN DEVELOPMENT AND PUBLIC SERVICES.

ROLE OF EPA

EPA, basically is a regulating and monitoring agency responsible for enforcement of National Environmental Quality Standards which are related to municipal and liquid industrial effluents, Industrial gaseous emissions and motor vehicle exhaust and noise. These have been formulated by Environment and Urban Affairs Division, Government of Pakistan.

GENERAL FUNCTIONS OF EPA SINDH:

i). Co-ordinate the Government, Semi-Government organization, NGOs, Industrial Management and various development agencies on preventive measures for abatement of Environmental Pollution.

ii). Establishment effluents/ emissions monitoring systems.

iii). Impart awareness to general public about the hazardous effects of environmental pollution.

iv). Conduct research and studies regarding different environmental issues.

v). Review Environmental Impact Assessment Reports of the Development projects and issue of NOC based ton the review

ACHIEVEMENTS OF EPA, SINDH:

Our past activities have been technical as well as making people aware of the environmental issues. With our motive of sustainability of natural resources the Environmental Protection Agency with its strength of seven officers beside Director General and Director is striving hard to render its services to the people to restore their right for a clean and healthy environment.

- Environment and Urban Affairs Division of Federal Government has well appreciated the performance of EPA Sindh towards its achievements in connection of limited facilities and staff.

- In the absence of legal powers and in view of little staff, EPA Sindh has attempted to encourage non-Governmental organizations to take practical measures to control the environmental degradation.

- EPA Sindh continues close liaison with many NGOs like IUCN in their efforts to control the pollution of coastal Eco-system rendered by polluted effluent from tanneries and other industries located at Karachi.

- Nearly 2000 Tons of obsolete pesticide is lying at various stores owned by Agriculture Department at about 210 location in Sindh since last thirty years. EPA Sindh has highlighted the stagnant issue and have recommended the safe disposal method for the pesticides.

- Large amounts of Toxic waste were being dumped into Lyari river which claimed many lives and caused spread out of diseases. The EPA with coordination of other local agencies got the toxic waste disposed off in the proper manner.

After extensive dialogue with manufacturers and importers, EPA succeeded in banning the manufacturing, import, distribution, sale and use of Black Polyethylene Bags. Import of used plastic for recycling purpose was banned as well.

ACTIVITIES OF SINDH EPA

Following are some ongoing activities of EPA Sindh:

  1.. Coordination for the development of a Combine Effluent Treatment Plant for Tanneries
  2.. Coordination with FPCCI in Environmental Technology Programme for Industries
  3.. Development of Sindh National Conservation Strategy in collaboration with IUCN
  4.. Campaign against Auto-Rickshaws for control of emissions and noise pollution
  5.. Integrating subject of environment with educational curriculum
  f.. Awareness Programmes:-Awareness section of EPA is very actively creating awareness on environmental related issues. Recently World Environment Day was celebrated in collaboration with Education Department at Mizar-e-Quaid. The event was very much appreciated by the Chief Minister, the Chief Guest on the occasion and other Ministers.
- EPA is bringing out a quarterly publication by the name of Sindh Environment. This publication will not only help in highlighting the important pollution issues but also will provide a channel for correspondence with industries and other stakeholders. Time to time EPA also prints posters, pamphlets and booklets for creating awareness among masses. For the very same purpose EPA has organized different Radio programmes and events such as essay and photography competitions.

- A few documentaries, on environmental issues such as marine pollution, have been produced which are shown on different occasions.

- Off and on EPA organizes workshops and seminars for technical training as well as for educational purposes.

- EPA Sindh has been instrumental in assembling the relevant government agencies to the conference table with representatives from labour, industries and business community to achieve the objectives.

- For raising general awareness about environmental issues following programmed sponsored by EPA Sindh are regularly played on radio:

  1.. Zindagi Kitni Hussein Hay

  FM 100

  Saturday 4-30 p.m

  2.. Mahole Jo Tahaffuz Lazmi Ahey

AM Hyderabad.

Saturday 2-15 p.m.

3. Sojhro

AM Khairpur

Saturday

4. Maholyati Jan

FM Larkana

Saturday

  a.. The EPA Sindh also responds to public complaints on environmental issues and
remain alert of whatever undesirable is going on in whole of the province whether it is the case of a ban on polythene bags or the issue of disposal of toxic waste, the Director General and other technical staff is right there to look for the solution.

FUTURE PLANS

Government of Sindh is assisting Tanning industry by supplying Funds and Land to Pakistan Tanner's Association for construction of Combined Effluent Treatment Plant. Provincial Forest Department is providing their lands to private sector organizations and raising nurseries to supply plants for afforestation purpose. EPA Sindh is performing its regulatory role with overall shadow of Planning &Development Department with financial support in all respects.

Major objectives of EPA for Future strategy are as under:-

- With growing concern for the increase in air pollution in Karachi, EPA Sindh has developed the strategy for an Air Quality Monitoring Plan. Which will be instrumental with the availability of the resources.

- Plan for the Monitoring of industrial effluents and emissions has been already formulated. Implementation is subjected to enactment of Pakistan Environmental Protection Act 1997.

- Resources are the backbone for economic development of a province. Sustainable use of resources is the key for formulating the development strategies all over the world. Realizing this fact, EPA Sindh has taken up the task of development of Sindh Conservation Strategy in collaboration with IUCN.

- Industrial development is always coupled with the production of hazardous and toxic waste. This waste has to be disposed off in environmentally safe manner in order to avoid the contamination of natural resources and health hazards. EPA has developed a proposal for the development of a site for safe disposal of toxic and hazardous waste.

- To introduce subject of Environment in the curriculum right from the primarily level with a more realistic and integrated approach towards educating the young generation about the environmental problems. The guiding principles are being worked out by having discussions with the experts on the subjects.

- Enforcement of National Environmental Quality Standards and convincing the industrial sector. In this connection seminars will be conducted in collaboration with the Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industries.

- Appropriate measures for proper disposal of toxic chemicals and pesticides presently handled carelessly.

INTRODUCTION OF

INSTITUTE FOR GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES

Address: P.O.Box 770339

Naples, FL 34107-0339

USA.

Phone: +1-941-596-1200 Email: [log in to unmask]

Fax +1-941-594-8222 Web: www.igei.org

Grant Use - The Purpose Behind the Experience

The world is challenged by the environment. But no nation is alone.
The environment it is a global issue by virtue of the shared eco-system which
composes this inter-dependent planet. Now there is a vehicle to cultivate
talent and leadership-an international assembly of science and expertise
that can be tailored to respond to challenges by pulling expertise and
intelligence from a world-wide pool. It is the Institute for Global
Environmental Issues, a not-for-profit educational agency designed to
provide learning and put that intelligence to work.
The Institute for Global Environmental Issues conducts Summer Sessions each
year with an intensive curriculum focused on one environmental topic. The
10-week Sessions rotate around the world hosted by local and sponsoring
organizing committees.

The selection process for student participation is very competitive. With the 100 students who eventually comprise the Summer class, IGEI expects to have a sampling of the world's emerging talent...a group that is gathered to converge in a learning and information gathering
sequence followed by a challenging, problem-solving effort segment, the
Group Project. This theater of activity assembles the most prestigious of
scholars under the direction of some of the world's most renowned and
accomplished experts from academia as well as business and industry. It is a
brain trust designed to make for a legacy: environmental improvement.
Each selected student must procure funds to participate in the Summer
Session, a tremendous honor. The cost per student, with tuition and travel
plus expenses, is $8,000. The investment made by a sponsoring contributor or
business enterprise provides many returns on investment: the student who
participates joins a life-time fraternity that continues to mutually support
one another in continuing to deal with environmental challenges and develop
strategies and plans to restore the environment. Each graduating student
returns home with knowledge and access to talents and information so
environmental issues can be addressed on any scale. A one-time grant or gift
lasts a lifetime.

I hope above information will satisfy some of my colleagues here. Please feel free to contact with me.

Regards

Irfanullah Tunio