Dr. Brown,

Anytime that a President is on trial for impeachment (it's only happened twice
in over 200 years), I think it holds some import.  Whatever you feel the merits
of the case, there is no doubt that it's outcome and the mere fact that it is
occuring is certainly an important point in American history -- whether it's the
most (or the tenth most) important Congressional debate of the century is not
really the key to this issue.  I don't know that I would have used those words
in the press release either . . . but I'm learning that I can't be in control of
everything in the world (much less everything within the AMA).

I would please ask you to see my previous comments on the listserve regarding
why interjecting the Journal or the AMA into this debate ON EITHER SIDE would be
inappropriate.

In terms of "competing partisan agendas", if we are an organization that is so
radically right/conservative or so opposed to the President . . . why have we --

1) Had the President speak at our annual Leadership Conference in Washington, DC
to over 500 physician leaders in March 1998.  (It was also covered on CSPAN and
the major networks.)

2) Invited the President (and he accepted) to come to the AMA Washington Office
to hold a press conference regarding the Bipartisan (mostly Democratically
supported) Patient Bill of Rights in the late summer of 1998.  (Covered by all
the major news networks.)  Why also would I have received a scathing letter from
Newt Gingrich during the final Patient Bill of Rights debate in the House when
we stood our ground and refused to support the inadequate Republican version of
the bill?

3) Cooperated greatly with the President's anti-tobacco agenda with both our
outspoken leadership and our financial support.

4) Been out-front in working with the Justice Department to protect physicians
in their clinics and their homes when they perform abortions.  (Front page USA
today, November 1998).

5) Aggressively supported the nominations of both David Satcher (successfully)
and Henry Foster (unsuccessfully) for the position of Surgeon General. A member
of our Board of Trustes was also invited to the Oval Office swearing-in ceremony
for Dr. Satcher.   In fact, Dr. Satcher just addressed our House of Delegates in
December, 1998 -- odd if we were such vehement opponents of his boss.

6) (were we) invited to have a seat on the President's Quality Commission which
produced it's final report this year.  Our current President Elect (then Board
Vice Chair) participated actively on the Commission.

These are just six examples that I can pull off the top of my head which I think
show that we are not (to paraphrase an Oldsmobile ad) "your father's AMA."  Dr.
Nancy Dickey, the current and first female President of the AMA loves to make
that point in most of her remarks and speeches as she travels the country.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.

Andrew Thomas, MD