Dear Colleagues,

With apologies for cross-postings...

Guidelines to help report studies evaluating health promotion
interventions

Last year I presented some preliminary work on a set of guidelines to
help improve the quality of reporting of evaluative studies in health
promotion at the 1st UK Health Promotion Research Conference in
Edinburgh (together with Ashley Adamson, Leslie Carlin and Judith
Rankin).  We invited colleagues to help in the development of the
guidelines by taking part in a piloting exercise and several delegates
took up this challenge.

For a number of reasons it has taken longer than we anticipated to
complete the necessary development work, but we have now reached the
stage where critical feedback would be of value.

We would like to extend our invitation to a wider audience and now
seek others who are currently writing up the results of a health
promotion evaluation, who might be interested to try out the
guidelines.  The only condition is that you complete a brief
questionnaire (by e-mail, pos tor fax) on your experience of using the
guidelines by the end of January 1999.  Critical comments from peers
will help us to achieve a degree of consensus over the guidelines
which will in turn help to ensure that they are useful when published.
We will take on board as many constructive suggestions as possible
and all contributions will be fully acknowledged in the finished
product.

Please contact me if you think would be interested to help and let me
know what study you are writing up.  I can then send you the
guidelines in an appropriate format.  Looking forward to hearing from
you.

Kind regards,

Yours sincerely,

Martin...

Dr Martin White
Senior Lecturer in Public Health
Department of Epidemiology & Public Health
School of Health Sciences
The Medical School
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 4HH