Happy New Year to all members of estuarine-sceince.

Into its second month of existence, estuarine-science now has over 230
members, with this number increasing daily.

As some of you know, I am by training a fish ecologist, but I am also
greatly interested in cephalopods (octopus, cuttlefish, squid, Nautilus)
because of their ecological similarities to fish.  No cephalopods exist in
freshwaters, but I was wondering if anyone had any evidence of estuarine
occurrence.  I have heard of octopus being entrained at power station
intakes in mid-estuary areas (salinity 8-25), but have not seen any myself.
Are cephalopods limited by their osmoregulatory abilities to be only
adventitious species in estuaries, or are there other more important factors
perhaps involved as well?

Best wishes

Marin Greenwood, List Owner
Forth Estuary Ecology Group