Ian Webb writes much that is interesting, indeed I could debate for
hours as to whether the suggested differences between adults and
children are that clear or a product of a lack of academic investigation
of childhood.

However, i want to comment on his views on labels.  He suggests 'If this
means using a label then as long as it is
not offensive then lets do that.'

In both 'special' and 'not special' schools there is a tension between
attributing labells to children so that resourses can be provided to
help remove some of the barriers they encounter and the possibility that
these labells become fixed identities and result in negative
consequences.  Many children (myself and Mairian work with) are caught
within this tension and negotiate their labels on a daily basis, their
label is not a fixed point on a scale, its meaning changes by the minute
depending on who (other children or adults) they encounter.   Some of
those who attribute labels in educational setting invariably claim they
are applying objective criteria - in my experience these criteria rarely
exist.

John