>I do wonder if the time wasted in debating and worrying about the changing of
>a word in accident & emergency is really worth it? I honestly cannot believe
>that we have a chance in affecting how joe public 'God bless em" perceives us
>and uses us by simply changing a name.

You dont know much about marketing then ;-)

The most important part of a product from the marketing point of view is
it's name (ask any drug rep).

Of course you may be right.  It may have no effect on how punters actually
use the service.

I tried playing with different messages on our out of hours answering
machine.
Swapping "if you need the doctor" for "if you need the doctor urgently" and
"if you need the
doctor in an emergency" had no obvious effect on call rates.

>If anything, we should be thinking long term and blurring the edges of A&E and
>moving our focus towards preventative medicine/accident prevention and
>teachings into local schools.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm amazed at how little we are involved in prevention of trauma,
considering the fortune we spend on antihypertensives, antilipid drugs,
health education etc..

Robbie Coull