The obvious source for such data are the records of the Inland Revenue
who have income tax returns with home addresses and workplace addresses.
Of course not all households are taxpayers so the Inland Revenue records
are far from giving a full picture. But the main problem is that the IR
guard these data jealously.

The IR get monthly returns from employers for tax and national insurance
contributions.  Such data could be used to make monthly employment
estimates, for example, and could be used to make estimates of
employment by local authority areas.   But the IR is not part of the
ONS.  The ONS don't have access and the data is not used in this kind of
way.

For monthly employment estimates we rely on a household survey!!!
(i.e. the LFS)

Tim Holt, Director of National Statistics, is a fairly dynamic
character, and there is a muted plea for access by the ONS to
administrative records in the Green Paper on Official Statistics.
Getting access to this income data is probably the single most valuable
resource the ONS could have.

The word valuable is used deliberately.   I understand that estimates of
income level by local authority areas and wards are made by commercial
organisitions.   They take the socio-economic composition of wards at
the last census and blow them up with current estimates of the income
level of different socio-economic groups.  No one really knows about the
quality  of the output, but i understand that it sells well!!!

If anyone has any corrections to this account or any further
information, I'd be very appreciative.

Ray Thomas, Social Sciences, Open University
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 01908-679081   Fax: 01908-880292
Post: 35 Passmore, Milton Keynes MK6 3DY