From: Rob Vellinga
To: Ergonomics Mailbase
Subject: Specific benefit of Ergonomics (in 10 words or less)
Date: Tuesday, January 05, 1999 5:15PM

Each time that I am asked, "So, what do you do?", I struggle with the
answer.

Yes, I KNOW what I do as an Ergonomist, but how do I convey that to dinner
guests, neighbours, assembly-line workers, engineering managers, and the
CEO of a company I'm marketing to?  From personal conversations with other
Ergonomists and Consultants, I know that I am not alone.

As Ergonomists we apply a science that is human-centred.  Humans are less
than predictable, multifarious, and influenced by many external
circumstances.  Working for the benefit of people is both the 'joy' of this
profession and the challenge.

It is difficult to filter all that we do into a clear, concise, impacting
statement.  However, the success of ergonomics depends on it.  If we
ergonomics practitioners cannot tell the world what we do, in a way that
they can grasp it, use it and promote it, then we cannot make long term,
prevailing improvements for people.

The question is.......
In ten (10) words or less, what is the specific, real, tangible benefit of
ergonomics?

Rob Vellinga
Ergonomist / Consultant
Guelph, ON  CANADA